[Tfug] Linux? Debian? Kubuntu?

Richard Rohrdanz rrohrdanz at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 18:13:32 MST 2006

Jeremy,

On 2/2/06, Jeremy C. Reed <reed at reedmedia.net> wrote:

> If you really want to use really old and limited computers, kubuntu and
> even standard Fedora are probably not a good idea. Debian (and kubuntu and
> Fedora) can be made to work, but it will take a lot of work and
> configurations.

Sounds challenging but do you have a recommendation? If not one of
those three then what?

> I suggest you specifically tell us: 1) what tasks the users will need to
> do; 2) the software they currently use or are familiar with for doing
> these tasks; and 3) how much physical computer memory you have.

There is only one 486 in the bunch, but I have been told that I might
get another Pentium to replace it. Minimum memory is 64 Mb - that also
seems to be the max. The users work almost exclusively with Microsoft
Office and an Internet browser. Some actually prefer Firefox (suprised
me) over IE. There is one OLD DOS database program in the bunch which
we will eventually convert to Office. One serious challenge will be
trying to  convince the users to convert to Open Office

> Even with "limited" resources, it may be better to use more modern systems
> to save your "time".

Ah, if only we could buy some computers! I'm afraid I'm stuck with what I have.

Richard