[Tfug] Kubuntu boots only in recovery mode

Wafa Hakim wafa at email.arizona.edu
Thu Feb 2 11:23:27 MST 2006

Hi all,

Don't you just know this would happen the day after I sent a post to the list
saying I'd never had a problem with Ubuntu...makes me wonder if I should
corss my fingers or something every time I say that.

So up until yesterday my Kubuntu install on a Dell desktop was working fine &
had been for the last couple of months. Yesterday, a script caused Firefox to
hang, my entire system froze, & in frustration I restarted by turning the
power off & power back on. I rebooted in Windows, installed an update to my
ATI display driver, & tried to reboot into Kubuntu.

Have been trying repeatedly, but no luck -- it goes through the boot process,
reaches the stage where it says "configuring modules", loops back & begins
the boot process again, & then finally reaches a root recovery prompt, saying
it was unable to exit this runlevel & continue booting. The boot stage
immediately preceding this is "setting up disk parameters".

From this root prompt, if I type startx, KDE loads fine & with no problem --
except I am in recovery mode. Selecting recovery mode at boot time also leads
to a smooth startup. I simply can't load the main user, i.e. me. (I have no
other users set up on this machine).

I tried adding the "norestore" command to the "boot" command in Grub's
menu.lst file; same thing. Am sending this from my notebook, on which Kubuntu
seems to be doing fine (fingers crossed). Any & all suggestion will be
greatly appreciated...

Thanks a ton,
Wafa.
--
"One of the many major problems with governing people is that
of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get