[Tfug] Linux? Debian? Kubuntu?

Richard Rohrdanz rrohrdanz at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 13:44:13 MST 2006

When it comes to Unix I'm a newbie. When it comes to computers I'm and
oldie or oldbie or whatever -- since I've worked with computers since
1966.

I have started experimenting with both Linux (Fedora core 4) and
Debian. They have given me enormous headaches due to the steep
learning curve and problematic installations. I am trying to learn
enough to install a non-Microsoft operating system on about a dozen
older (486 and Pentium class) computers that have been donated to a
non-profit organization. The users are all OK in a GUI environment but
would avoid a command line like a scorpion.

I am volunteering my time and the organization has limited resources.
Can someone tell me the strong and weak points of the various Unix
incarnations in this environment?

--
Richard