[Tfug] Naming scheme

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 23 13:23:37 MST 2006

Hi, Joe,

> > The advantage of such a scheme is that you can
> > ON YOUR OWN (without requiring the assistance of
> > each "publisher") fetch whatever information you
> > want from each of those devices/users.
> >
> > E.g., you could harvest their "contact
> information",
> > look at their bookmarked web sites, listen to
> their
> > "favorite tunes", etc.  WITHOUT having to ask
> them,
> > "Hey, could you 'send' me your ________?"
> >
> > (I hope this concept is obvious...)
>
> --- besides my being paranoid - is this for homeland
> security???

<grin>  No.

> If used for gaming and such, I would want to control
> not only the public
> areas, but the public name my pod broadcasts,  Then
> if it sees a conflict
> with a name someone else is broadcasting, my pod
> would shut up and tell me
> there's a conflict - perhaps make a suggestion like
> John Doe24 - and then I
> could tell it to broadcast a new name or just keep
> it off.  I think people
> would use nick names - like old CB Handles - that
> friends and
> acquaintenances would recognize.  In this case the
> the MAC address or
> whatever would be used by others that are scanning,
> then the initial
> communications protocol would be to ask for the
> Handle that is to be
> displayed.

I don't want the user to have to change anything
in *his* machine just because he happened to walk
into a room with someone else who opted to pick the
same "handle"/have the same moniker, etc.  Then,
you get annoyed and feel like *you* have done
something "wrong" (otherwise, why is the machine
"scolding me"?)

Presumably, you would notice (because someone else
would approach you and ask "which Foobar are you?")
and either "fix" the problem or shrug it off
("Heck, I'll never be around this other Foobar
again so why bother?  Besides, Foobar is such a
great moniker...")

> Perhaps have a list of known friends, such that any
> time Jack and Jill are
> in the same area, they have a certain level of
> access with each other.
> Other people in the area see Jack, and perhaps not
> Jill, and even then have
> only limited access to what Jack makes public, and
> perhaps others only see him as Mortimer Snerd.

Exactly.  Trusted interactions are handled
differently.
There, the parties -- both perhaps named Foobar! --
can
negotiate what they want to call each other (i.e. how
they will recognize each other electronically)  It's
the public "free-for-all" interaction that is the
tough part.

--don