[Tfug] Naming scheme

Joe Blais joe.blais at pti-instruments.com
Tue Dec 26 10:17:10 MST 2006

> I don't want the user to have to change anything
> in *his* machine just because he happened to walk
> into a room with someone else who opted to pick the
> same "handle"/have the same moniker, etc.  Then,
> you get annoyed and feel like *you* have done
> something "wrong" (otherwise, why is the machine
> "scolding me"?)
>
> Presumably, you would notice (because someone else
> would approach you and ask "which Foobar are you?")
> and either "fix" the problem or shrug it off
> ("Heck, I'll never be around this other Foobar
> again so why bother?  Besides, Foobar is such a
> great moniker...")

In new places, what can go wrong, will go wrong -- so if you pick a simple
name to begin with, like John or Joe, chances of a conflict arise.
If the system just adds a number onto the end if your moniker, like I'd be
Mortimer5 in this room today, then friends wanting something, could probably
tell that I'm Mort5 today because of the content in my folders.

I don't know if people would verbally ask me which Mortimer I am, because it
could be anyone in the room.

If I'm talking to a new acquaintance, I might tell them the info they want
is in my foo folder.

Perhaps the tack-on would be the time you entered the area, then if my
friend wanted something, but she saw 5 Morts, she could ask me, or may have
noticed, when I arrived.

Friends wanting something, could probably tell that I'm Mort5 today because
of the content in my folders.  Total strangers wouldn't know the pattern of
my files, but I could tell them I have the WinningHorses folder.

We could have an Icon or picture of ourselves available that would be more
unique.  Perhaps in a MyIcon folder that everyone would have.

At any rate, we tend to go to the same place all the time so eventually I'd
get the idea that there's enough Morts around so I'd pick a different name.

I just don't see a way of making sure everyone had a unique name all the
time without some type of intervention or additional information available.

Perhaps a search function.  I tell someone I have a sure thing list of lotto
numbers in my Lotto.pick file.  So he searches for Lotto.pick across
everyone there.   Perhaps the search could work like a bit torrent so
someone has an index all the time.

???

Hope Santa filled your stockings!

--