[Tfug] (ot) CIS 225

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Wed Aug 23 09:20:03 MST 2006

From: Brian Masur

> Excellent.  I saw his class is on Friday, I'm OK with a night class (prefer
> it actually.)  I'm just down the street from the central campus so I think
> I'll go down there today and see what I need to do.  I'm aware the class is
> at the west campus.  Thank you much, sir!

I'm what they call a "professional student".  I've been taking classes for nearly 14 years!  I started taking one class a semester as I found something that interested me.

A couple of years ago, I noticed that I had quite a few credits so I decided to go for some certificates.  I needed a few classes for the Unix/Linux network certificate so I took Harry's CIS 225 and CIS 226 and Louis' CIS 137.

I've now discovered that I have nearly enough for the AS in computer science so I'm going for that.

On the topic of traditional vs: web-based.  It depends on your goals.  If you know the topic and just need a credit, the web-based might be the way to go if you have the discipline to stay on track.

If you really want to learn something, enjoy interacting with other students and playing with hardware in the lab, then traditional is the way to go.

I've taken web-based classes just for the credit and really don't feel like I got much out of them other than the grade but your mileage may vary.  ;-)

And as a point of demographics, the average age of a Pima student is 29 years old.  I'm 60 and employed full time with an IT company in Tucson.

Didn't mean to sound like an advertisement for PCC but it's a great place to learn new skills or hone the one's you have.

George Cohn