[Tfug] (ot) CIS 225

Christopher Robbins robbinsc at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 10:23:00 MST 2006

On 8/23/06, George Cohn <gwcohn at simplybits.net> wrote:

> On the topic of traditional vs: web-based.  It depends on your goals.  If
> you know the topic and just need a credit, the web-based might be the way to
> go if you have the discipline to stay on track.
>
> If you really want to learn something, enjoy interacting with other
> students and playing with hardware in the lab, then traditional is the way
> to go.
>
> I've taken web-based classes just for the credit and really don't feel
> like I got much out of them other than the grade but your mileage may
> vary.  ;-)
>
> And as a point of demographics, the average age of a Pima student is 29
> years old.  I'm 60 and employed full time with an IT company in Tucson.
>
> Didn't mean to sound like an advertisement for PCC but it's a great place
> to learn new skills or hone the one's you have.

Hear! Hear! PCC is probably the BEST place to pick up skills.

I tend to agree about the web-based courses, but one of the advantages (at
least for me, during the summer) is that no one takes courses during that
semester.  I took Java and C with Tori Basford at Pima East and I think in
both cases I was the only person in the class.  It was nice to have that
level of one-on-one teaching - something you rarely get both in the
classroom or online.

I'd like to squeeze in a class at Pima West (preferably something with linux
admin so I can brush up on things), but I can never seem to find the
time....

-Chris

--
Chris Robbins