[Tfug] Snort usage and security precautions

Brian Murphy murphy+tfug at email.arizona.edu
Sun Aug 13 11:54:10 MST 2006

What you want to do is use a unidirectional port tap to mirror traffic
at your uplink but not allow your snort sensor to send any signs of
existance to the bad guys.  This can be accomplished with higher end
switches or little hardware devices.[*]  If you can't do that, bring up
the snort interface but don't assign it an IP address. (ipconfig eth1
up)  It will still see the traffic because snort runs in promiscuous
mode.  Both cases require that you have a dedicated NIC for snort.

Brian

[*] You may be able to get away with snipping the Tx line in your
ethernet cable but some switches won't link if you do this.  Ethernet
requires bidirectional traffic at the physical level.