[Tfug] Snort usage and security precautions

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Sat Aug 12 23:26:07 MST 2006

Query: How many people are using Snort in a production environment? Using
Snort on an internet facing interface?

I keep thinking about deploying Snort as a detection/classification service,
in addition to may existing firewall logging and periodic manual
inspection... But it seems like every other week there is a serious security
hole. Given that, I would hate to have it on my firewall or facing the
internet in particular, though that is presumably were the "bad stuff" is you
want to detect.

Adrian