[Tfug] Snort usage and security precautions

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Mon Aug 14 09:55:21 MST 2006

On Sunday 13 August 2006 11:54, Brian Murphy wrote:
> What you want to do is use a unidirectional port tap to mirror traffic
> at your uplink but not allow your snort sensor to send any signs of
> existance to the bad guys.  This can be accomplished with higher end
> switches or little hardware devices.[*]  If you can't do that, bring up
> the snort interface but don't assign it an IP address. (ipconfig eth1
> up)  It will still see the traffic because snort runs in promiscuous
> mode.  Both cases require that you have a dedicated NIC for snort.

Well, I understand using a port tap (or in my case, port mirroring on my
switches), but what do you do when you do not have a dedicated machine to act
as your Snort client? I wasn't so concerned about bad guys knowing that a
Snort box was present... Rather, what steps do you take to prevent/minimize
chances the Snort box from being compromised by people throwing packets out
randomly.