[Tfug] python/Tkinter

Shawn Nock nock at email.arizona.edu
Mon Apr 3 13:35:18 MST 2006

Jim Secan wrote:
> (1) does anyone have strong feelings pro/con
> using this as a GUI builder in this context,
    For quick, dirty and simple Tkinter is quite hard to beat. Once you
get the hang of it simple interfaces are a breeze. I fulfills all my
requirements (I don't like gui's as a general rule). If you are looking
for prettier (native / complex widgets... etc) look elsewhere. For the
pretty projects, I've had decent luck with wxWindows (boaconstructor has
a really nice interface builder for wx).

> and (2) do I need to have the
> full Tcl/Tk implementation on target systems in order to use this?

    Yes, full Tcl and Tk are required. Good news though windows
implementation of Python has it in the default install, and there is a
installable package that adds Tkinter support to the MacOSX base python.
IIRC most python binary packages for linux distros include Tkinter.
BSD's (Open and Free) both offer Tkinter in the py-tk package/port.

> I see that jython is an alternative.  I know this needs to have a JVM on
> the target machine - other than that and needing to know Java, are there
> other downsides to jython RE python/Tkinter?

Any other downsides? Did you read the part where it requires JVM ?
:)

    -Shawn

--
Shawn Nock (OpenPGP: 0xEF9B08E7)
Broadcast Engineer; KUAT Communications Group