[Tfug] SuSE Overheating & Console OGG/MP3 Ripping

Bill M. beelymagee at cox.net
Sun Jul 10 17:32:12 MST 2005

I'm back on Linux as my main box (Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop) -- wiped
all traces of WinXP/Dell utility partitions and have SuSE 9.3 Pro loaded
on. Yea! (Of course, there is a little Apache/Samba/Folding at Home and
SETI Search box as well as the Smoothwall firewall box at home.)

I've noticed some heat build up issues since the change to SuSE: tried
using Grip in KDE and the rip and encode got part way through, then SuSE
reported immediate shutdown because of heat. Happened two times on
different days. I was at home with the swamp cooler on. I haven't
checked the laptop's exhaust fans yet.

So, I've loaded XFCE 4.2 on and things run much cooler -- verify this
with #cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM/trip_points -- gives max temp allowed
then do #cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM/temperature to report current temp.

Fascinating to watch in KDE with Firefox open on a site like Yahoo with
lots of animated GIFs -- big spike! Yes, ACPId is running and I have the
appropriate options checked in the different window managers.

To the subject line, can anyone recommend their favorite (or one they've
heard about) console-based CD rip-encode application? I have verified
that CDparanoia and Jack are loaded, also the Java RE is running fine --
jEdit loads great and FreeMind (my favorite brainstorming tool.) I would
like the choice of MP3 (LAME encoding installed already) or OGG encoded
files. If the app can do the rip and encoding without creating an
intermediate WAV file, that would be great. I've googled on this, but
there are so many apps out there -- other's experiences and opinions
would be a great help.

TIA -- your responses are much appreciated!

-*-Bill