[Tfug] Somebody else's firewll

JD Rogers rogersjd at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 11:17:35 MST 2005

Is that still an issue? I know it used to be, but I was pretty sure
the cable companies had relaxed about that lately given the
proliferation of wap/firewall/switches and the fact that so many
households have more than one box.

The last time I actually had to speak with cox, they asked if I was
using a wap/switch, and I said yes. They didn't seem to care. Also,
I've never felt too guilty about this since I'm only occupying 1 IP
address and technically, there really is only one computer attached to
the network. Legally speaking, I would guess you could argue that all
the local boxes are just sharing data, but all the external traffic is
still just going to and from 1 machine (even if that machine is a
firewall device type thing).

I could see them wanting to charge more if you use just a switch or
hub on the modem becuase you would need more global IP addresses.
JDR