[Tfug] Somebody else's firewll

dave jordan quantumnonlocality at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 17:39:55 MST 2005

my feeling is that roughly speaking, a firewall appliance is as robust
as anything you can put together yourself. also if you use a
workstation PC as a firewall/router, then you have to think what
happens when you have to reboot it.  are there other computers in your
LAN who will have their connections suddenly go away?  if you go with
DSL, you will most likely get firewall capabilities built into the
modem whether you ask for them or not.

what i would do is order whatever service you want/can get, rent their
unit for a month or two, see if it does what you want, then decide.
note, IMHO network address translation alone is not sufficient
security.  you want the ability to block ports too.

you didn't specify a lot in your message - there are dozens of
questions and scenarios that i am overlooking....

also, how do you do a firewall with 2 NICS?  virtual node of some
kind? can you elaborate?

one way to tell how far your ass is hanging out in the wind is to go to
http://www.grc.com/ and check out "shields up"

-dave