[Tfug] T1 access

Harry McGregor micros at osef.org
Mon Dec 15 14:04:25 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 12:25, debianfan at cox.net wrote:
> Sorry if this is off topic but it seemed like a good place to ask.
>
> When a T1 is ordered from Qwest and they terminate at what they call is a smart jack.

While you can order a T1 from Qwest for either Voice or Data, or
possibly mixed voice/data use, I would recommend against it.  I have had
far better experiences with TWTelecom (www.twtelecom.com)

If you need a sales contact, drop me a line off list.

>   IS  a CSU/DSU is still required or is what they are providing now a CSU/DSU?

The smart jack is purely a loopback and diagnostic device.  It does not
take the place of a CSU/DSU

>   Can that be used as a CSU/DSU and a CSU/DSU is no longer needed to be provided by the customer?

Depends on the service you order.  If you order a pure data T1, you will
need a CSU/DSU. If you order something like TW's VersiPak service, it
will be handed over via 100Mbit ethernet, and either fractional
channelized T1, fractional PRI T1, or POTs lines for the voice.

>   I tried looking on qwest site but I could not locate the answer to my question.

Never trust Qwest's website.

> All data communications line in Tucson whether they are actually order from MCI or AOL Time Warner
>  are all actually installed by Qwest is that also correct?

AOL Time Warner has no connection with TWTelecom's operations.  TW, MCI,
and e.spire (or whatever they are calling themselves today) are all
facilities based CLECs.  In a lot of cases they rent the T1 from the CO
to you from Qwest, but the CLEC is still your point of contact.  If you
have enough $$ worth of business and are close to their fiber loops, you
can get on-net service which has higher reliability, and cut's qwest out
of the loop.

If you order your T1 from a CLEC, the hand over is the CLEC's
responsibility, and not Qwests, even if Qwest is providing the
transport.  You don't interact directly with Qwest, which is a good
thing.

I have had numerous issues with the Qwest copper my T1 is fed over.  TW
has been very very good about working with Qwest on this.  Heck it's to
the point I have TW's NOC on speed dial on my cell phone.

We have had far better service and turnaround times with TW than when
the time was via AT&T MIS services on Qwest directly.  The problem with
the copper is in the last 2,000 feet, and qwest wants to keep hopping to
another pair in the bad 25 pair bundle... We have gone through 12 pairs
already.  Only really an issue when it rains.  TW has had Qwest Techs
onsite at 1am at times, within 1 hour of calling in the trouble ticket.

			Harry

--
Harry McGregor, CEO, Co-Founder
Hmcgregor at osef.org, (520) 661-7875 (CELL)