[Tfug] T1 access

Tyler Kilian tkilian at dakotacom.net
Mon Dec 15 17:16:45 MST 2003

This has pretty much been answered to death by Jon and Harry,
but here are a few things I thought I would add.

On Monday, December 15, 2003, at 02:04 PM, Harry McGregor wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 12:25, debianfan at cox.net wrote:
>> Sorry if this is off topic but it seemed like a good place to ask.
>>
>> When a T1 is ordered from Qwest and they terminate at what they call
>> is a smart jack.
>
> While you can order a T1 from Qwest for either Voice or Data, or
> possibly mixed voice/data use, I would recommend against it.  I have
> had
> far better experiences with TWTelecom (www.twtelecom.com)

FWIW, I've had good luck with Qwest, TWTC, and Xspedius.  I've never had
excessive problems with either Qwest's frame network or loops.  Same for
private line service.  TWTC has also been excellent.  Xspedius has
treated me
well, but I've never ordered a type 2 (circuit provisioned over Qwest
copper)
from them, so it's not relevant.

> The smart jack is purely a loopback and diagnostic device.  It does not
> take the place of a CSU/DSU

I could be wrong, but I think for HDSL-provisioned lines, the NIU is
actually
necessary to convert between the HDSL and standard ITU T1 signaling.

In either case, the CSU/DSU is needed.

# Tyler Kilian, CCNP, SCSA
# Technology Director, Dakota Communications
# TKilian at DakotaCom.NET | 520.745.3900 x 100