[Tfug] OBSD as an SMTP/POP3 proxy

tfug@tfug.org tfug@tfug.org
Sat Sep 21 20:38:02 2002

On 9/21/2002 at 5:41 PM Nicolas Lopez wrote:

>On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 12:30:38AM -0700, steveb7@bblabs.net wrote:
>> I'm interested in adding a mail proxy function to my firewall so that I
>can
>> scan incoming email for virii and to reduce some of the spam. I did some
>> research on Google and found Sendmail with libmilter, Spam Assassin and
>> MIME Defang have the features Im looking for. I know Sendmail is not the
>> easiest to setup and I don't want to be an open relay for someone else.
>The
>> question? Is there an alternative to Sendmail that can provide these
>> functions and the setup is well  documented?  Alternatively is there a
>> guide for Sendmail geared to the SMTP novice? I looked at the Sendmail
>book
>> by Oreilly and Sendmail's website but found that the book is out of date
>> and aspects of Sendmail have changed since the books last printing.
>
>FYI SpamAssassin tagged your message as spam because it doesn't like your
>MTA (best I can tell). The "Calypso" in your headers got your messages
>tagged
>as being sent by RATWARE:"Bulk mailer signitures" and earned it 4.6 out of
>5
>points in the default config. That, combined with a couple of minor things
>got your message thrown in my spam box.  Just be aware you will get false
>positives.

>Anyway, not being a sadist, I have to ask you to rethink why you need
>sendmail.  What does MIMEDefang provide that mailscanner(well, ok, still
>mostly sendmail), exiscan (Exim specific), strait spamassassin, Amavis
>(PostFix aligned, but works with others), etc don't provide?

I'm not fixed on Sendmail. I guess I should have started with easier questions.
Can I run Spam Assassin without an MTA?
What other MTA's are there? (Skip that since you already answered it.)
What other MTA's are less sadistic than Sendmail to install and configure?

I have Kaspersky AV for OBSD although I have not installed it yet since I was under the impression it had to be tied to the MTA.

Steve