[Tfug] OBSD as an SMTP/POP3 proxy

Nicolas Lopez tfug@tfug.org
Sat Sep 21 17:42:02 2002

On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 12:30:38AM -0700, steveb7@bblabs.net wrote:
> I'm interested in adding a mail proxy function to my firewall so that I can
> scan incoming email for virii and to reduce some of the spam. I did some
> research on Google and found Sendmail with libmilter, Spam Assassin and
> MIME Defang have the features Im looking for. I know Sendmail is not the
> easiest to setup and I don't want to be an open relay for someone else. The
> question? Is there an alternative to Sendmail that can provide these
> functions and the setup is well  documented?  Alternatively is there a
> guide for Sendmail geared to the SMTP novice? I looked at the Sendmail book
> by Oreilly and Sendmail's website but found that the book is out of date
> and aspects of Sendmail have changed since the books last printing.

FYI SpamAssassin tagged your message as spam because it doesn't like your
MTA (best I can tell). The "Calypso" in your headers got your messages tagged
as being sent by RATWARE:"Bulk mailer signitures" and earned it 4.6 out of 5
points in the default config. That, combined with a couple of minor things
got your message thrown in my spam box.  Just be aware you will get false
positives.

  Anyway, not being a sadist, I have to ask you to rethink why you need
sendmail.  What does MIMEDefang provide that mailscanner(well, ok, still
mostly sendmail), exiscan (Exim specific), strait spamassassin, Amavis
(PostFix aligned, but works with others), etc don't provide?

  - Nick Lopez
    kimo_sabe@atdot.org
--
People keep lecturing me because I'm apathetic, but they seem to
forget that I don't care.