[Tfug] OBSD as an SMTP/POP3 proxy

Nicolas Lopez tfug@tfug.org
Mon Sep 23 00:36:01 2002

On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 08:38:43PM -0700, steveb7@bblabs.net wrote:
> On 9/21/2002 at 5:41 PM Nicolas Lopez wrote:
>
> >On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 12:30:38AM -0700, steveb7@bblabs.net wrote:
> I'm not fixed on Sendmail. I guess I should have started with easier questions.
> Can I run Spam Assassin without an MTA?
  Yes. I'm running from my .procmailrc on this system, using spamd/spamc for
efficiency.

> What other MTA's are less sadistic than Sendmail to install and configure?
  Anything, including netcat and custom hand-written tcsh scripts commented
in sandscrit. :)

> I have Kaspersky AV for OBSD although I have not installed it yet since I
> was under the impression it had to be tied to the MTA.
  The "tieing" to the MTA would be done by whatever program/filter you use
to handle the mail filtering & spam tagging.  Be it MIMEDefang, mailscanner,
Amavis, whatever.  You'll almost certainly want one of those attacking
breaking the message apart and then feeding the interesting parts to your
virus scanner(s).

  - Nick Lopez
    kimo_sabe@atdot.org
--
I was not elected to watch my IP packets fragment and collide while you
discuss this routing policy in a committee!