[Tfug] LAN hostnames

Paul Scott tfug@tfug.org
Tue Sep 17 16:28:01 2002

Tony wrote:

> It seems like janet will always be the computer with a host identifier
> greater than that of your Linux machine but less than 255. Assuming just
> the two computers, I think you could rely on the third line of
> outputfile.txt (from my previous post) for providing the correct IP
> address for janet. What I was realizing (late last night, mind you) is
> that you could extract the IP from there and then adjust /etc/hosts
> using a custom app -- the whole thing could be run via a script either
> automatically at boot time or over a given interval (possibly one
> matching the refresh rate of the DHCP server).

Sounds complicated and unnecessary.

If I bring my box to TFUG one night and a few other normal things happen
then this might no longer be true.  What if I even shut down both
machines because of a storm?

> All that aside, if John's idea (about using an IP outside the
> Actiontec's range) will work, it's a much easier solution than what I'm
> suggesting.
>
> And, if you can disable DHCP at the Actiontec somehow, it gets you
> around the whole thing.

Maybe my ignorance is showing but from what I have read so far there
should be a fairly simple way for this to work.  Setting up NIS should
be one of these but I don't see why named (BIND) won't do this with a
few simple setup conditions.

Thanks,

Paul