[Tfug] LAN hostnames

Tony tfug@tfug.org
Tue Sep 17 14:02:02 2002

It seems like janet will always be the computer with a host identifier
greater than that of your Linux machine but less than 255. Assuming just
the two computers, I think you could rely on the third line of
outputfile.txt (from my previous post) for providing the correct IP
address for janet. What I was realizing (late last night, mind you) is
that you could extract the IP from there and then adjust /etc/hosts
using a custom app -- the whole thing could be run via a script either
automatically at boot time or over a given interval (possibly one
matching the refresh rate of the DHCP server).

All that aside, if John's idea (about using an IP outside the
Actiontec's range) will work, it's a much easier solution than what I'm
suggesting.

And, if you can disable DHCP at the Actiontec somehow, it gets you
around the whole thing.