[Tfug] LAN hostnames

Brian Murphy tfug@tfug.org
Tue Sep 17 17:38:03 2002

Paul, I haven't been following this thread too closely, but here is my
take on the problem.

It seems that your router is giving out the DHCP leases, right?  If the
router can't do 'static' DHCP, where it has a table of MAC addresses which
always get the same IP, you won't be able to keep the same IP on the same
client system.  And since you can't keep the same IP address on the system,
meaningful DNS names won't be possible.  (Of course anything is possible,
but I'm talking within reason)

The answer is to assign each system its own unique static IP.  You'll also
have to configure the netmask, gateway, DNS servers, etc.  Once each system
has a deterministic IP, you can work on setting up your DNS server.

If the machines on your network also run servers and need to be accesible
from the Internet, you need to look into using NAT on the router.

Brian