[Tfug] YO BOWIE:

Bowie J. Poag tfug@tfug.org
Mon Sep 9 14:08:02 2002

I dont have Cox HSI... I have Comcast HSI.

It shouldn't matter anyway. "We don't support Linux" is not the same as
"Linux doesnt work with it"..... You can have a friggin Atari ST on your
end, and have broadband access with it.  Your cable provider cannot see past
your router. On your side of the fence, you can set up whatever you like.
For example:

 Comcast/Cox/Whatever--------> *Cable Modem*<---Your Broadband
Router<-----Several of your computers

To get past the bozo factor, just tell em youre running Windows. It makes
absolutely no fucking difference at all what kind of machine you have on
your end, but they'll throw a fit if you say Linux. Tell them what they want
to hear. Windows.

Anyway, as I was saying....your computer will be talking with a router, not
to the cable modem. I have two laptops and a PC hooked up to a D-Link
Broadband Router, and the D-Link Broadband Router is connected to my cable
modem. All three of my machines have no fucking idea what a cable modem
is -- For all they know, the router is the thing giving them all the data
they ask for, while in reality, that router is pulling/pushing shit to the
cable modem in the background.

I have a Toshiba PCX1100U cable modem.. Bought it from Best Buy here in
town.  Your setup may be different, but I suspect they all work the same
(DOCSIS is a nice standard) ....Anyway, here's how mine works -- The router
is what sends a DHCP request to your cable provider---NOT the cable modem.
Meanwhile, your PC sends a DHCP request to the router. The _router_ talks to
Comcast via the cable modem, and requests a DHCP address. The cable company
then provides your router with a real-world IP address, and the IP's of a
couple nameservers. Now your router knows how to talk to the outside world.
Meanwhile, your router is also doleing out DHCP leases to all the machines
you have plugged into it. At _no point_ in the process do any of your
computers even touch the cable modem. They talk exclusively with the router,
or with eachother. Period.  The router does the dirty work.

So, with that knowledge, you can pat the bozo at Cox on the head, make his
life easier, and just tell him that youre running Windows. Theres no point
in arguing with the jackass. You'll just complicate things. Just know in the
back of your head that you could hook up a fuckin Dreamcast to your router
and have broadband access on it-- It makes no fucking difference at all what
kind of computer you have, or what OS is running on it. They cant see past
your router, and never will. Most broadband routers will even mask the MAC
address(es) of your computers, and replace them with its own MAC address,
just to fool the cable company into believing you have only one host
connected. :)

Cheers,
Bowie