[Tfug] Newbie question

marcia wilbur marcia.k.wilbur at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 23:27:07 MST 2017

So, a little history, we forked PLUG in 2014.
In 2016, someone else - Lisa, had taken over the LUG meetings for about a
year. She holds hackfests at Devry. A few months ago, she had her plate
full so I took over again.
I was interim, relieved and interim again BDF(how long)?

Right now my big focus is small local meetings with the huge conference
next October!!!!!!

I like what you said about devs and admins.

obviously, devs can do admin work - but maybe are not passionate about that.

Admins can try to do some scripting but are more systems related than
coders usually.

I have found that some businesses (especially Wells Fargo here in Tempe) do
not even make that simple distinction. I can be both... but we need to make
a distinction here. Developers have different skills. Admins have different
skills.

As a dev, I might use Eclipse or Oxygen.
When will an admin need "that".

I code in bash so scripting as an admin is second nature.

Makes things faster, automated - which threw me into admin work - I just
didn't want to manually do anything.

That's the difference... if you ask me - Mac vs. Winblows vs. Linux

Automate everything you can. Efficiency and time saving. One project we
completed was a esp8266 keurig hack using a phone app to start. We were a
group highly into Raspberry Pi and automation.

I do not want to meet during Gangplank hack night as I think this is
disruptive. We did this a few times. I even wanted to go back to the hack
night area... Just sayin!

PHP scripting is great. There is a lot you can do. Python, of course, is a
little more robust in my opinion.

For printer scanning - did you use SANE?

Good luck with that Windows thing. I mean if it's good for you...

Hanging out would be nice. I think like a meet/greet/drink/eat/hang out...
I'm down with that for in person!

By the way, I think the PLUG people go out to eat after. I went a few times
before things went South with that "We don't care about privacy thing"...
which now that it's popular is something they care about... suddenly..
after years... Just sayin!

> What does "Join the slack?" mean?
Slack is a tool some companies use for their group chat... sort of like IRC
of old...but you can share images and video...

https://plugaz.slack.com/signup