[Tfug] Education for Linux - Small client machines

az Tech azteech at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 15:17:17 MST 2017

I have looked into this aspect of Linux based OS/software, recently. There
are a few packages available. However, the most promising I found, and am
pursuing further, is Debian Edu / Skolelinux jessie.

In a nutshell, here is the information from the Debian Edu page:

"Debian Edu, also known as Skolelinux, is a Linux distribution based on
Debian providing an out-of-the box environment of a completely configured
school network. Immediately after installation a school server running all
services needed for a school network is set up just waiting for users and
machines to be added via GOsa², a comfortable web interface. A netbooting
environment is prepared, so after initial installation of the main server
from CD or USB stick all other machines can be installed via the network.
Older computers (even up to ten or so years old) can be used as LTSP thin
clients or diskless workstations, booting from the network without any
installation at all. The Debian Edu school server provides an LDAP database
and Kerberos authentication service, centralized home directories, a DHCP
server, a web proxy and many other services. The desktop contains more than
60 educational software packages and more are available from the Debian
archive. Schools can choose between the desktop environments KDE Plasma,
GNOME, LXDE, MATE and Xfce."

Source: https://www.debian.org/News/2016/20160702

Other info links:

Search: https://www.google.com/search?q=skolelinux