[Tfug] Dell MegaraidSAS disk problem AyZACAw6YA

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Thu Feb 2 18:00:31 MST 2017

On Thursday 02 February 2017 16:15:49 Nick Lopez wrote:
> > On Feb 2, 2017, at 3:25 PM, Adrian <choprboy at dakotacom.net> wrote:
> >
> > There are no options for JBOD/raid-less in the controller firmware.
> > Megaraid controller not releasing the drives to the OS or something else?
>
>   yup, you either create raid volumes, or you might be able to switch the
>  whole controller to JBOD mode. PERCs/MegaRAIDs haven’t let you expose JBOD
>  drives unmolested. If they drives are blank, or at least not full, you can
>  create 1 drive RAID0’s on each one, but I think that wipes out the
>  partition table as well as the RAID metadata space at the end of the
>  drive. I might have a SAS6iR card you can borrow that might still fit the
>  newer servers’ RAID slot

Yeah.. I know I used single unconfigured/unRAIDed drives on earlier
PERCs/MegaRaids, as well as the individual drives themselves would show up as
a generic sdx block device. But I hadn't touched a newer generation except as
a full RAID volume. Don't really need a RAID card, just something with a SAS
port to spin up drives.

I have a SAN that failed a drive, then immediately failed multiple replacement
disks (within a minute or two of inserting the replacement). I suspect it is a
backplane issue, but need to check the SMART on the individual drives...
always a possibilty someone else threw bad pulls, still in their tray, back in
the static bag and left on the servers as spares.

Adrian