[Tfug] Linux SIG mtg, 4th Sunday

John Gruenenfelder jetpackjohn at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 14:40:54 MST 2015

On September 14, 2015 6:37:00 AM MST, Keith Smith <techlists at phpcoderusa.com> wrote:
>Has the Tucson Free Unix Group (TFUG) merged with the Tucson Computer
>Society (TCS)?
>
>I spent most of my adult life in Tucson and watched and attended both
>in
>the late 1990's and early 2000's until my move to Metro Phoenix.  I was
>
>the TCS Linux SIG leader for a short while in 2001 or 2002.
>
>TCS required dues to attend.  The SIG was mostly retired men who were
>hobbyist.
>
>TFUG on the other hand was a free spirited group of novices and
>hardcore
>Linux geeks.  I attended some of their meeting in the early 2000's as
>well.  Unless TFUG has changed, it is very similar to PLUG.
>
>Is the goal to try to bring all these groups together?  If so I think
>that is a great idea.
>
>From a learning perspective it is good and from a political perspective
>
>it is good as well.  If all the LUG's were to network we could have a
>collective voice that could effect change or stop some of the change
>that is not good for us.
>

>On 2015-09-13 21:45, der.hans wrote:
>> moin moin,
>>
>> The Tucson Computer Society's Linux SIG meets on the fourth Sunday of
>
>> the
>> month from 15:00 - 17:00 at the Pima County Medical Society.
>>
>> 5199 East Farness Dr, Tucson, AZ
>>
>> Also, there's now a meeting in Sierra Vista.
>>
>> The Cochise Linux User Group (CLUG) is meeting Wednesday from 17:00 -
>> 18:00 at University of Arizona South in Room C165 North.
>>
>> An Introduction to Linux presentation will be given by Rex Bouwense.
>>
>> 1140 Colombo Ave, Sierra Vista, AZ
>>
>> ciao,
>>
>> der.hans

Keith et al,

I, too, attended TFUG meetings back in the late 90s and early 2000s.  I don't think TFUG has had a meeting in a long long while.

Personally, I find the most useful part of TFUG remains this mailing list, though activity has dropped rather substantially.  Fortunately, with the knowledge here, I can ask almost any hardware or networking question and get some great feedback.

I stayed on this list even during the three years I lived in Massachusetts because I find it so useful.  My biggest worry, though, is membership atrophy.  I get the feeling that most current members have been on for 10+ years.

One way or another we need to attract new people.  *How* we do that is a good question.  Part of the problem is that the
present Linux community is not the same one many of us encountered in the late 90s.  The Internet was a tiny fraction of its current size and physical meetings were very helpful.

For my own part, I always mention TFUG to any old or aspiring user and expound on its virtues.  But... I'm not sure how much of an impact this has ever had.

- --John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
My projects  --  https://bach.as.arizona.edu/~johng
of my enemies!"
        --Sam of Sam & Max