[Tfug] Are boxen obsolete?

Zack Breckenridge zbrdge at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 10:25:13 MST 2015

Erich,

I say yes, but for different reasons. Couple of good examples:

*
http://rwmj.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/caseless-virtualization-cluster-part-1/
* http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/edison_fuzz/

Of course maybe the second one doesn't really count as boxen (but you could
probably do a lot of work with a PC sized cluster), and the first one has
no box, but rolling your own device is still worth it in many cases (and
possibly still cheaper than cloud prices over a year or so depending on the
workload).

As TR mentioned, a BeagleBone Black is great for a mini-boxen. I have one
and it's awesome. I use it as a mini server/router at work.

Zack B.