[Tfug] Is TFUG dead?

John Gruenenfelder jetpackjohn at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 23:16:39 MST 2015

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 10:33 PM, keith smith <klsmith2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Seems all the lists have slowed over the years.

Yes, and that's very unfortunate, I think.  Over the past, say, ten
years or so, many mailing lists have slowly been replaced by POS
forums of one kind or another.  They certainly have some advantages,
but, in general, I prefer my online communicating be done through an
email list.

I'm sure there are some examples of well run and well behaved forums.
That is, a forum where information is well organized.  Sadly, it is
also painfully easy to find the opposite.  Just try to do any research
at all regarding Android ROMs or device rooting.  Ugh, it's an
exercise in pain.  Sure, the information is all there, but who really
wants to read through 86 pages of mostly inane chatter to get the info
you actually want.

And don't even try to suggest that there may be a better way to
organize things, like putting mostly-static info/instructions on a
webpage, because you'll likely be flamed to a cinder before your
message has finished posting.  What's worse is that the devs/hackers
on these projects seem to prefer it this way.  The searching ability
on many forums also leaves much to be desired.  You really can't say
that Mailman has even a decent search facility, but at least you *can*
add one if you wish, and even if you don't Google typically picks up
the slack in a generally favorable way.

I miss the old ways (dagnabbit)...
And whatever happened to instant messaging?  That seems to have died a
rapid and quiet death.  Or maybe it has just been rapidly supplanted
by Google Talk/Hangouts and Apple iMessage (or whatever its nom de
jeur is)?

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for Palm OS  --  http://weaselreader.org