[Tfug] [tfug] Announcing runfs

Jude Nelson judecn at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 12:01:18 MST 2014

Well, it's a FUSE filesystem, so you just run it as follows:

$ runfs /path/to/mountpoint

Once mounted, it looks like and behaves like tmpfs, but if a process
creates a file in it and dies, the file gets removed automatically.

It's meant for holding things like PID files, lock files, UNIX domain
sockets and named pipes, which aren't supposed to live longer than the
process that created them anyway.  You could use it along side (or in place
of) tmpfs on /run.  I've been getting a lot of mileage out of it for
testing other programs that create temporary files like these but crash
before they can clean up.

I can make some debs and rpms for runfs and fskit, if anyone's interested :)

-Jude