[Tfug] Problems with local DNS using DD-WRT and dnsmasq

John Gruenenfelder jetpackjohn at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 22:52:22 MST 2014

On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 09:55:22AM -0700, Jon wrote:
>Did you look at the  dd-wrt wiki? I swear I saw how to do this on there just
>last week.

Jon,

No, I didn't.  I only checked the forum and the search box at the top of all
dd-wrt domain pages doesn't include pages from the wiki.  But, thanks to your
suggestion, I just checked and found a HOWTO in the Tutorials section under
Advanced Tutorials titled "DNSMasq - DNS for your local network - HOWTO".

There were a number of suggestions in that file along with a number of edits.
Based on the comments, I think much of my confusion is/was due to the fact
that different versions of dnsmasq have both different valid options and
different syntax for those options.  So, the manpage I was reading may very
well be accurate, but it wasn't accurate for the actual version of dnsmasq I
am currently using.

Anyway, the good news is that local DNS is working now.  Huzzah!  Both short
names and FQDNs, too.  Also, by looking at the generated config file at
/tmp/dnsmasq.conf, I found why the domain= line was choking things.  From
other settings in the web admin GUI, there was already a domain= line included
and it seems that dnsmasq isn't happy when that line is repeated.  With only
one it was okay with the config file.  That, and *not* uncommenting the
host-record lines I had commented in my previous config attempt.

The correct configuration, for dnsmasq version 2.45, is to use address= and
ptr-record= statements to populate the DNS records.  I modified my previous
ptr-record lines to look like the HOWTO's examples, but that only amounted to
adding quotes around the hostname's so that probably didn't change anything.
Here is the text I now have in the "Additional DNSMasq Options" box:

#####
# Additional dnsmasq config options
#####

expand-hosts
domain-needed

### DNS records - merseine.nu home network ###
address=/moongate.merseine.nu/moongate/192.168.1.1
address=/swordfish.merseine.nu/swordfish/192.168.1.2
address=/bebop.merseine.nu/bebop/192.168.1.3

### DNS records (reverse lookup) - merseine.nu home network ###
ptr-record=1.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa,"moongate.merseine.nu"
ptr-record=2.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa,"swordfish.merseine.nu"
ptr-record=3.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa,"bebop.merseine.nu"

### static DHCP records ###
dhcp-host=e8:03:9a:38:e4:90,192.168.1.5,redtail.merseine.nu,infinite

...and there was much rejoicing.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS  --  http://weaselreader.org