[Tfug] Problems with local DNS using DD-WRT and dnsmasq

John Gruenenfelder jetpackjohn at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 22:18:39 MST 2014

On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 09:19:32AM -0700, Zack Breckenridge wrote:
>Just a stab in the dark:
>
>Try changing the line:
>
>local=/merseine.nu/

>domain=merseine.nu,192.168.1.0/24,local
>
>Then uncomment your host-record lines and comment out your ptr-record
>lines. And see what happens. Sorry if you've already tried this..

Hi Zack,

Thanks for the suggestion, but it does not seem to have worked.  Doing the
above causes dnsmasq to not start at all, which in the past has meant that it
is unhappy with the config file.  If I leave the host-record lines commented,
it is still no good.  If I also remove the domain= line, then dnsmasq will
start again.  It appears to be unhappy with either directive.  :(

>Also, can you tell us what version of of dnsmasq is shipped with this
>dd-wrt firmware?

Not surprisingly, most of the shipped binaries are none too friendly, so
simple things like the command line options -V or -h don't work.  Using
"strings" on the binary I found the following two lines in the output:

dnsmasq-2.45
Copyright (C) 2000-2008 Simon Kelley

I would therefore guess that the version number for the dnsmasq included in
DD-WRT build 23940 is 2.45.  I'm less certain about the copyright date only
because a lot of people seem to forget to update those if it is not handled
automatically.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS  --  http://weaselreader.org