[Tfug] SATA dock

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu May 1 10:59:52 MST 2014

Hi Steve,

On 5/1/2014 9:32 AM, Steve B wrote:
> Ugh, that is what I was afraid of. I have a PATA/SATA to USB adapter, but
> would like an eSATA dock for the additional bandwidth as well as the

----------------^^^^^

Ah, that wasn't clear in your original post!  Nix my suggestion as
it is USB(2).

> convenience of a dock. Shouldn't all docks come with the appropriate cables
> to power up and connect?

In an effort to bottom feed, I suspect vendors rationalize how they
expect the device to be used to justify what they do/don't include
with the package.  E.g., my home sphygmomanometer supports an external
power supply -- but, they *expect* you to use it with batteries,
instead (no idea *how* to even purchase the required wall wart!).
Similarly, I have several external (USB) laptop drives that expect to
be USB powered -- but, have provisions for an external power supply
(not included!) for use on USB ports that can't supply the requisite
power.  OTOH, I can usually find a wall wart among the existing ones
that I already have that will do double-duty with the device in
question.