[Tfug] ISO Ghost 8 (2003?)

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 22 14:25:46 MST 2014

Hi Harry,

[Still waiting on you to pick a convenient time to meet up!]

On 3/22/2014 1:28 PM, Harry McGregor wrote:
> I would also suggest partimage.
>
> http://www.partimage.org/Main_Page
>
> http://www.sysresccd.org/

Yes, I normally use Clonezilla (basically a shell around partclone).
But, that's with an external drive to store the images.

I had thought of scripting a version that would allow the user to
feed a set of DVD's into the machine (I think the compressed image
is now about 20G).  But, that would be a fair bit of work.  And,
require the user to remember where he stored the "restore DVD's".

Enlarging the existing (hidden) restore partition to accommodate a
new "ghost" image seems easier.  The machine can recover itself as
long as the disk doesn't die.  As the partition is not accessible
from within Windows, there's little chance a typical user is
going to munge it.

And, if the disk dies, then the user has to bring the machine to
*someone* for repair, regardless...

--don