[Tfug] ISO Ghost 8 (2003?)

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 22 13:32:25 MST 2014

Hi Zack,

On 3/22/2014 1:16 PM, Zack Williams wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Bexley Hall<bexley401 at yahoo.com>  wrote:
>> I'm looking to *borrow* a copy of Ghost 8 (?) to build a
>> "factory restore" image for some laptops.
>>
>> Can anyone help me out, here?  And/or, some information as
>> to whether or not it "litters" the image that it is building?
>> (i.e., I don't want the image to contain a Ghost executable!)
>
> dd works as well as 3rd party tools for one-offs, unless you're
> looking for a standalone "boot off this disc, it partitions the disk
> and writes an image" style tool, which would require more scripting.

I'm trying to leverage the existing "press F11 to restore" software
installed on the laptops.  The folks using it will not be computer
literate ("Joe Users").  I had thought of scripting a partclone
implementation ("dd | gzip" by itself would result in an image that
is much to large to be economical -- and definitely wouldn't fit
on a single optical medium).  But, dressing that up enough for "one
click operation" (especially in a text-only environment) seemed
too much effort.

*Feels* like just fiddling with the already present ghost image
on the "hidden" partition gives me the most bang for the buck
(and, the least number of "support calls").  It also handles all
the obligatory license displays/confirmations, "registration",
etc.

--don