[Tfug] OT: Latex/rubber solvents

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 10 14:33:16 MST 2014

Hi William,

On 3/8/2014 9:54 AM, William McNulty wrote:
> It won't really eat away rubber. You gotta figure the brake hoses are
> rubber as well.

Ah, I forgot the small stretch between the frame and the wheel itself
(the rest of the lines are metal all the way to the master cylinder)

> Brakekleen is pretty brutal as a cleaner. It eats away
> silicon as well in removal of granite counter tops which are glued down
> with silicone.

Hmmm.... worth remembering.

> Laquer thinner imo would work best. Most of the coating
> you're going to have to scrape off but it will help a lot. It will
> evaporate if its in a open container. I would drape a cloth over the
> opening to stop it.
> The last solution I could say is airplane paint stripper. Most other paint
> strippers won't do squat.

I can check with a friend at Pima Air & Space to see what they have on
hand.  I wonder what they use to dissolve the "dope" they used on
old (fabric) wings?

It's frustrating to encounter substances that don't *easily*
dissolve in these nasty things!

--don