[Tfug] TODO list manager

Angus Scott-Fleming angussf at geoapps.com
Mon Mar 3 11:27:56 MST 2014

On 2 Mar 2014 at 2:48, John Gruenenfelder  wrote:

> Hello once more,
>
> One of the key daily life management utilities I am currently missing is a
> good Todo list manager.  For reference, I include in this list things like
> email, a calendar, y so forth.
>
> My primary requirements are cross-platform, relative ease of use, and a
> unified data set.
>
> For example, I get my email via IMAP which allows me to access a single
> unified store of email from most anyplace that has Net access.  At home I use
> Mutt, on one of the machines that gets mail locally I also use Mutt, and from
> my phone I use K9 email and access via IMAP.  Different apps, but the email
> store is unified.
>
> For a calendar that I can keep my appointments in (my needs are fairly basic),
> I use Google's calendar (which I think uses the ical format or similar).  I
> can access the calendar via the website.  From my phone there are numerous
> apps (besides the default Google app) that support Google Calendar.  From
> home, I usually use the website, but I can also have the drop-down Gnome Shell
> calendar display the same data.
>
> But, for Todo data, I still don't have all the parts.  At least, I am as yet
> unaware of the needed toolchain.  I know Google has some sort of Todo
> management utility on the web, but I don't know how widespread support for it
> is outside the Google-sphere.  Again, my needs are relatively simple, I just
> need a way to add tasks under varying categories.  The ability to add a more
> extensive description in addition to the task title would be a plus.

GTasks is available for Android, and there are iOS interfaces for Google Tasks.
There are desktop implementations which use various browsers as interfaces.
This one works fine in Firefox:

    Tasks
    https://mail.google.com/tasks/canvas

See also:

    Reader Evan writes in with his simple guide to putting Gmail Tasks into a
    desktop application, using the built-in application shortcuts feature in
    the Google Chrome browser-simply navigate to
    https://mail.google.com/tasks/ig in Chrome, use the Create Application
    Shortcuts feature on the menu, and resize the window down to a smaller
    size. You can then access your tasks through a desktop shortcut anytime
    you want.

Seen here:
    Use Gmail Tasks as a Desktop App
    http://lifehacker.com/5182539/use-gmail-tasks-as-a-desktop-app
    (may require the Windows version of Chrome)

Also:
    Five Killer Ways to Use Google Tasks
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/five-killer-ways-to-use-google-tasks/

--