[Tfug] OT: Llatex/rubber solvents

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 1 19:47:53 MST 2014

Is replacing the tool an option?

------------------------
Keith Smith

On Saturday, March 1, 2014 5:14 PM, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi,

Last time I painted the roof, I made the mistake of using the
"stirrer" that I normally use for stirring drywall compound
to stir the roof paint.

(By "stirrer", think of a propeller on a shaft that you can
install in an electric drill, then insert into the material
to be stirred).

Of course, there's now a sh*tload of "thick rubber" adhered
to the "blades" of the stirrer.

And, I would like to remove it.

Unfortunately, it is very irregularly shaped ("propeller" is a
gross understatement!).  So, its hard to scrape off, cut off,
sand off, etc.

Obvious solution is to let the thing sit in some sort of solvent
for a while (the stirrer itself is metallic so should be relatively
impervious to most solvents).

But, I'm at a loss as to what to try!  I know mild solvents (e.g.,
mineral spirits) will be useless.  But, I'm unsure of some of the
stronger aromatics.

Since the "business end" of the stirrer is pretty large, I need
to invest a fair bit of solvent even to *test* its efficacy.
And, the more volatile solvents like to evaporate -- suggesting
this is likely to consume quite a bit before the job is "done".

Bottom line:  I'm looking for something that stands a good chance
of doing the job "first time" so I'm not stuck with the leftover
(hazardous!) waste from several "failed attempts".  And, *learn*
something about a viable approach for cleaning other tools in the
future (since painting roofs is a fact of life, here).

Any chemists out there?

Thx,
--don

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org