[Tfug] recommendations for DLNA-compliant media server -- anti-spam token ugu5y4a6

Claude Jager-Rubinson cjr at grundrisse.org
Thu Feb 6 13:47:33 MST 2014

On Thu, Feb 06, 2014 at 12:16:54PM -0700, Robert Hunter wrote:
> It looks like there is quite a variety of media-serving software these
> days.  Does anyone have experience with a DLNA-compliant server that
> supports operations such as seeking and pausing?

DLNA's a mess.  Functionality depends not just on what the server
exposes but what the client implements and accepts.  So I've had
situations in which my Panasonic blu-ray could seek while my Samsung
blu-ray couldn't.  As well as situations in which a file format is
accepted by my Panasonic tv but not my Panasonic blu-ray.

If you're determined to go down the DLNA route, XBMC's implementation
is strong and I've read nothing but good things about Plex (although
it's proprietary).  minidlna is really easy to set up, but limited in
functionality.  But my experience is that DLNA simply requires too
much handholding and that you'd be better served by just buying a
blu-ray burner.  Or if you really want a media server, hook a box up
to your tv and run XBMC (or Plex or whatever).

Claude