[Tfug] Question the second: Revision control

Nick Lopez nick at glowingmonkey.org
Thu Aug 14 15:48:42 MST 2014

On Aug 14, 2014, at 3:20 PM, John Gruenenfelder <jetpackjohn at gmail.com> wrote:

> But... these days, on the Net, it seems as if everyone and their brother has joined the Git parade.  Meanwhile, I've paid it virtually no attention, under the assumption that what I wanted, exactly, was a *central* system and not a distributed one.

  And for good reasons: Push,pull,cherry-pick,rebase,bisect,pull-request. Git is awesome
> Maybe that's just a personal choice, as nearly all of the projects have been just me or a very small group.  Or maybe there are features and reasons to use Git of which I am unaware?  I don't really know.

  Git pretty much does everything SVN ever did better and faster, though maybe at the cost of disk space. Once you get used to the DVCS paradigm it’s very freeing. I feel that an old school centralized VCS causes code not to be committed until it’s complete and “perfect”. With every checkout being a fully functional repository you can commit any ‘ol incomplete, hair brained, change and have that history to revert to or diff against while you’re refactoring or spawn branches to try different things, then when it’s “perfect” you push that version up to the share repository, or as ask whoever you’re collaborating with to pull the changes from your working repo.
  I have one repo where I keep a few branches for minor mostly cosmetic tweaks between instances; with SVN that might result in big messy merges whenever I had to update one of the special branches, but with Git it’s just a quick “rebase” and it shoves the changes in the branch off to the side and syncs up with master branch, then reapplies the branch’s changes. There’s no conflicts with my changes in the branch conflicting with anything that was going on in the master branch because the changes don’t get reapplied until all the other changes from master get merged. All the branches and their histories then get pushed up to a central GitLab repo for backups and shared access.