[Tfug] Question the second: Revision control

Mr Brevity Bexley410 at aim.com
Thu Aug 14 15:31:15 MST 2014

Hi John,

On 8/14/2014 3:20 PM, John Gruenenfelder wrote:
> Anyway, onto my second request for advice.  When the choice is yours, what
> revision control system do you usually use?
>
> Personally, I used CVS for a long time and then switched to Subversion when
> it came of age and fixed most of the shortcomings of CVS.
>
> But... these days, on the Net, it seems as if everyone and their brother
> has joined the Git parade.  Meanwhile, I've paid it virtually no attention,
> under the assumption that what I wanted, exactly, was a *central* system
> and not a distributed one.
>
> Maybe that's just a personal choice, as nearly all of the projects have
> been just me or a very small group.  Or maybe there are features and
> reasons to use Git of which I am unaware?  I don't really know.

I went through this exercise, recently.  As expected, "programmers"
came down on the side of git.  IMO, largely because they wanted control
over their own little repository -- and little concern for other
types of documents (schematics, PCB artwork, executables, promotional
artwork, etc.).

I ended up adopting Perforce.  Definitely more of the centralized
model!  But, "free" for small users (e.g., me).  And, more likely
for me to be able to move my project to a commercial entity (where
EVERYTHING has to be controlled... source code being a tiny fraction
of the repository).

It's more of a "big company" mindset, though.  You may not like
that if you "like to do a lot of stuff myself" and are leary of
handing such a big chunk of your responsibility over to a large,
monolithic executable!

--don
(most DEFINITELY not a Zack!)