[Tfug] Remote networking communications and Internet gateways

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 17 17:05:44 MST 2014

Hi Casey,

On 4/16/2014 3:11 PM, Casey Townsend wrote:
> I can see that you have thought a lot about this, thanks for sharing.
> Your suggestion for a beer and discussion is a good one. Let me do
> some more research, and also maybe others will chime in, and then
> I'll set up a get-together. I'm thinking some place by the U/A would
> be best for a central location, but I just hate trying to find
> parking around there!

Yeah, I always dread having to use their libraries for research as
its such a hassle finding a place to park, figuring out where to
*go*, etc.  The *scale* of the campus is just daunting!  I think
my entire underclass population was probably smaller than their
*freshman* class!  :-/  Feels like a city unto itself...

> I'll reply with an update and consolidation of the concept that can
> then be further developed when I get a chance tomorrow. Your idea of
> citizen journalists at a balloon festival or similar is also on the
> mark for something this system could do, as well as be used in
> emergencies. I'm sure cost must be a factor in why this hasn't yet
> been done, but we have FOSS to show that good things can be made
> without a lot of money. Your point about central control is something
> that makes this even more desirable - to not rely on any single point
> of failure!

The software is a cakewalk -- even for a store-and-forward system.
The bigger problem is finding suitable (RF) hardware with a *stable*
(standardized?) interface.  No way would it be practical to try to
develop an open *hardware* solution as the certification process is
expensive and time consuming.  And, you want to be able to leverage
"tomorrow's" technology when it becomes cost effective instead of
having to update (and re-certify) a hardware design from "yesterday".

There's still the big issue of licensed/unlicensed usage.  E.g.,
talking to the phones normally is probably done on a licensed
band -- and, maybe even via proprietary protocols (??  I don't
use a cell phone so haven't explored that).  Even if you could
use the "unlicensed" WiFi capabilities of (*some*) phones, I am
not sure it is possible to route voice to the WiFi interface
(without some "app" -- which further limits who could use it).

Then, you'd still have to deal with the packet radio folks to
figure out how to get from the "suitcase" to a local repeater, etc.

I.e., this is a *big* job in that it draws in lots of stake-holders.
You might quickly find yourself discouraged by how little you can
do "on your own".

[Though I would not want to discourage you -- merely forewarn you
of the hills that lie ahead]

--don