[Tfug] Remote networking communications and Internet gateways -aqumuhyr

Casey Townsend Casey.Townsend at tucsonaz.gov
Wed Apr 16 15:11:04 MST 2014

I can see that you have thought a lot about this, thanks for sharing. Your suggestion for a beer and discussion is a good one. Let me do some more research, and also maybe others will chime in, and then I'll set up a get-together. I'm thinking some place by the U/A would be best for a central location, but I just hate trying to find parking around there!

I'll reply with an update and consolidation of the concept that can then be further developed when I get a chance tomorrow. Your idea of citizen journalists at a balloon festival or similar is also on the mark for something this system could do, as well as be used in emergencies. I'm sure cost must be a factor in why this hasn't yet been done, but we have FOSS to show that good things can be made without a lot of money. Your point about central control is something that makes this even more desirable - to not rely on any single point of failure!

Thanks again,

Casey

>>> Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> 4/16/2014 1:07 PM >>>
Hi Casey,

On 4/16/2014 11:22 AM, Casey Townsend wrote:
> Wow, thanks Don for taking the time to help clarify the requirements.

The problem with most questions is the questioner has a set of
assumptions in his/her head that "just make so much sense" that
he/she never thinks to *voice* them.

E.g., I originally read your comments as providing something akin
to the spur-of-the-moment videos you see on media outlets, youtube,
etc.  Or, covering a remote event (balloon fest, Iditarod, etc.)

> Here are my initial answers (and a few questions):
>
> 1) Let's say that a  "citizen journalist" would be someone with a bit
> of training to use a system that probably would be slightly more
> complicated than just a cell phone. It may be that they would need to
> use some sort of interface device. They would be supported by more
> technical folks who deploy the system in the area of need. It looks

 From your comments below, these are probably more than "casual Joe's".

> like Burning Man has a system that is being built and I am looking
> into that. I also wonder, did any of the Occupy people do anything
> like this? Too bad I don't know anyone in the military that could
> help based on their comms experience.

Occupy would have had the benefit of existing infrastructure to tap
into.  Burning Man seems more like my Balloon Fest scenario.  But,
each of those are "preplanned" events.  You have lots (?) of time to
get things in place before they are needed.  The scenarios you
describe below tend to be more *reactive* situations.  "Rapid
Deployment" being an unstated goal.

> 2) if determined to be feasible, crowd source funding would be
> attempted for this, but if there needs to be individual 'nodes' then
> each person/group would probably need to acquire one for  themselves,
> while repeaters, uplinks, towers, etc. could be part of the
> "organization's" contribution. Seems like Ham radio already does this
> for their (Licensed) community. I need to learn more about these
> capabilities...
>
> 3) I do not yet know what a realistic budget will be (or even if this
> is realistic to do). I'm still in the 'feasibility study' stage. Same
> with quantities. A 'pie-in-the-sky' dream would be to have a
> (limited) alternative to the existing commercial communication
> systems so that if cell towers or Internet access were not available
> in an area people could still communicate with each other, and those
> outside the affected area.

But, from below, it looks like you are looking for a semi-official
system.  Or, at least one that is semi-formally coordinated (e.g.,
like the hams)

> 4) "Remote" is probably the wrong word to use. It should be defined
> to be areas where either there is no existing infrastructure
> (electrical power, cell coverage, WiFi) or where that infrastructure
> is not functioning/available. This could be urban areas, especially
> after a disaster, or truly remote rural areas. Initially, I think
> this should be developed for use in the US/Canada first, than
> possibly expanded to places such as Antarctica!
>
> I'd love to see people come together to pre-position systems in high
> risk areas (tornado alley, coastal communities, earthquake zones)
> that can be rapidly deployed after a disaster. (FEMA/Feds have been
> shown to be worse than useless in most cases.)

OK.  This is something I have discussed with Hams and folks who do
disaster preparedness work.  At first, I explored it in the context
of Katrina's aftermath.

Q:  How do you reconnect that *large* population quickly and for
reasonable cost?

[Recall, Katrina was a very large area with relatively high density.
*Lots* of potential users in a rather large (though contiguous) region.]

The idea I pursued was a briefcase sized device (forget the actual
implementation, just think about how such a system needs to be *used*)
that an individual could hand-carry into an area.  If it has to be
towed behind a truck or on a semi, then the deployment logistics
become an issue -- they'd need to be prepositioned which means you
either need a lot of them or risk sparse coverage (and, if they
are that big, chances are they are *expensive!).  E.g., when TPC
sets up these "mobile phone booths", they are *large* objects.

These boxes magically connect to the rest of the world (again,
we're ignoring implementation details).

Now, how do you connect them to the individual *users*?  This gets
tricky!

The *obvious* idea is to *look* like a portable cell (tower or not).
This allows folks to use their existing cell phones to access "your"
network.  Nothing "special" that they (the "end users") need to know.

But, this has a lot of practical flaws.

First and foremost, EVERYONE will want to connect *NOW*!  (everyone
thinks *their* needs are more important than anyone else's).  And,
folks will want to use it for whatever reasons *they* decide (i.e.,
folks will be checking their Facebook page, browsing news feeds,
placing stock orders, etc.).  In short, you can't prioritize access
to that SCARCE RESOURCE.

Also, folks who don't have cell phones (e.g., *me*!) are silently
excluded from this communication means.

One implicit issue that can also be a big -- and related -- problem
is the lack of coordination (i.e., between other such boxes that
may be deployed as similar cells around the area -- all sharing some
common uplink means).  "Real time" use means you have to accommodate
an unpredictable "load" (or, *constrain* the load -- even artificially)

An approach around this (recall, Katrina was a decade ago when land
lines were still common -- meaning *wired* handsets were still
available!) was to plug several handsets into this suitcase (like
TPC's "mobile phone booths" -- except without the phone booths!).
These could probably be locally acquired (Target, Walmart, Radio
Shack, etc.).  This limits the number of connections to the box
and simultaneously sidesteps the unconstrained access issues that
a cell phone approach involves.

But, this sucks.  The handsets would get broken/abused.  It also
ignore the potential for cross contamination that they would provide
as folks share them tactily as well as proximate to their mouths, etc.
(illness often accompanies "disasters" -- or, may be the *cause* of
the disaster!)  Sort of like not wanting to use a public rest room
out of concern over who's ass last occupied that seat!  :-/

So, steal the constraints that this imposes and apply them to the
cell phone approach.  Allow people to *register* their cell phones
with the box.  The box can then notify them when they are "allowed"
to make their call -- which can be time limited *by* the box.  It
can unceremoniously *dump* the call when the timer expires -- this
avoids the local "operator" (a corporeal being) being hassled by
the user who claims he was cut off prematurely, wants to "buy"
(bribe) more time, etc.  "Sorry, the box has its own rules.  I'm
just here in case it gets broken or stolen..."

This also has a desireable side-effect:  the box can now "take messages"
for the phones registered there!  So, incoming calls can be spooled
(wherever) and fed to these boxes piecemeal as the uplink's bandwidth
permits.  Then, as the local box has resources available, it can
deliver the message(s) -- voicemail -- to the end user's registered
handset.

[Silent problem:  folks COMPLAINING (violently) that their cell phone
needs to be recharged -- but power is out!  Who provides the charging
power?  How noisily will folks complain if they can't avail themselves
of this medium because their phone went dead??  E.g., Katrina was
*days*/weeks without power!]

Taken a step further, the box can record *outbound* messages from the
local users and push them uplink as bandwidth permits.  While not
*interactive*, this allows folks to at least get a message to a
loved one (at a phone number they presumably *know*) and inform
that person of their health, whereabouts, contact information
("You can leave a message on my cell phone -- but I can't talk to
you personally").

[You could potentially allow the boxes to do "directory assistance"
*locally* (having been preloaded with databases or squeezing 411
requests out through small gaps in the channel(s) as possible).
Similarly, you can handle 911 calls -- though you would probably want
a way of *blocking* individual numbers as folks would learn to
abuse *that* medium]

Getting the boxes to talk to the rest of the civilized world gets
trickier.  One approach is to have them talk to a satellite-based
network (the folks owning the boxes pay for that subscription).
Another is to route through something like local hams.  Use their
rigs as repeaters (assuming other repeaters aren't already accessible).

But, this requires a fair bit of commitment on their part.  Do they
have backup power available for *very* long period of time?  Are
they willing to babysit their kit during this emergency?  Are they
*also* victims??

[Lunch is waiting so I'll cut this off...]

> 5) Video: Delayed upload (minutes, not hours) would be acceptable, as
> well as standard def rather than HiDef. Sounds like limited frame
> rates would probably also need to be used. Steaming video is best
> (just look at a stream of freeway traffic video versus a still shot),
> but often even a photograph is truly worth a 1,000 words. The goal is
> to help people on the ground to know how to help each other; where to
> go to help, or to get help, as well as to let the world know what is
> going on in an area that may have conventional comms inoperational or
> blacked out.  I don't want to rely on cell towers being up.

The above scheme would work.  User's "record" video (or, take snapshots)
*in* their handsets.  Then, transfer those to this box for distribution.
I.e., their "timeslot" is really a "data allocation" -- lots of voice
or a *little* video!

[Of course, the box could prioritize certain "connections" so first
responders have more access than Grandma Leone, etc.]

> 6) subscribe to a service? Aside from satellite internet (which I am
> still learning about) which probably would be an important part of
> this, that would obviously be a way to help fund this, but I am
> committed to open-source free software and community systems as much
> as possible.
>
> I'm surprised someone isn't already offering portable "Disaster
> Communications Kits" that can be easily transported and setup
> where/when needed.

I think you will find there is a good deal of the "control mentality"
involved in this.  There really isn't a genuine desire to let Joe
User have this sort of access -- someone wants to have their thumb
on it (for whatever reason).  E.g., solutions that will probably be
embraced will be ones where there is some centralized "authority"
(even if it is as "informal" as Ham operators).

> 7) Thanks for pointing out the info about "intentional radiators." Do
> you know if there are exceptions for emergency use in limited areas?

I don't think so.  I've never pursued a Ham license due to privacy
issues.  But, I think any "emissions" are subject to regulation.

Having said that, I have a ham rig set aside here for just such an
emergency.  Even if I don't xmit, I figure it gives me access that
may be inavailable, otherwise.

I also have some "walkie talkies" (I think they are GRMS? or something
like that) and portable CB radios in my bug out bag for similar reasons
(as well as a regular AM/FM/SW radio).

> (It may not matter if people get fed up enough to just  go
> "anarchist" and just do it to get the job done to help save lives and
> property.) Also, a long time ago I remember reading about Pringles
> can antenna point to point systems. I haven't yet taken the time to
> google that, but my guess is that these were not licensed. Do you
> know if by meeting certain set specs stuff is considered in
> compliance or does each system type have to be individually
> certified?

There are legal issues and personality issues.  If you've got a nearby
ham who is a control freak and he detects your unlicensed transmissions,
he can make trouble for you.  I think unlicensed usage tends to be
really low power output devices (e.g., we had a pirate radio station
in our dorm that *probably* couldn't be received in the offices across
the 4-lane street).

The unlicensed voice comms tend to have limited use.  Low bandwidth
(voice) and range (miles).  OTOH, if you are headed across town to
see if there are any places where you can get supplies (in a disaster),
they would be helpful in keeping in contact with your local "base of
operations".

> 8) Concurrent channels, etc.? Unknown at this time. This may circle
> back to the subscription question so that the system is not
> overloaded. Lot's of stuff to think about, but I have to start
> somewhere, and I really appreciate your time and help with this.
>
> 9)  "modulated laser carrier": I love out-of-the-box thinking! Thank
> you.

Let me know if you want to toss some ideas back and forth over a beer,
etc.  "Brainstorming".  The problem you will find with problems like
this is they require lots of "cooperation" from lots of "stakeholders".
Each will want to dip his/her fingers into the pie and change the
flavor a bit.  Often, that gets discouraging.  "Good intentions"
don't count for much  :<

Good Luck,
--don

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org