[Tfug] OT: WorldCare Thrift Shop

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 30 18:46:29 MST 2013

On 9/26/2013 6:51 PM, Bexley Hall wrote:
> Hi Christopher,
>
> On 9/26/2013 2:43 PM, Christopher Robbins wrote:
>> Slightly OT...Does WorldCare still have computer gear?
>
> Yes.  Though if you are looking for something specific, it
> might be best to inquire (here?) first.  Much is NOT in
> the store but I think this list is monitored for that sort
> of thing (if push comes to shove, I can pass along your
> needs).

Just an update...

WorldCare does "inventory" around this time each year.
For those unfamiliar with WC's bizarre "accounting system",
this involves *weighing* everything in the building and
recording its location.  This is then *audited* by a
professional accounting firm.  (i.e., they pick some items
off the inventory/manifest, at random, and verify the items
are located where the manifest says they are located, verifies
they are what the manifest claims they should be, and *weigh*
what the manifest claims they should weigh!)

This is a colossal PITA.  A *colossal* PITA!!

As such, folks learn that you *really* want to get rid of
"cruft" that you'd set aside over the course of the preceding
year in the hope that you might "get around to fixing it".
Anything that remains in your area will need to be weighed so,
the smart folks learn to empty their areas!  :>

Anyway, this year, the plan is to try to sell things off
"at reduced prices" (whatever that means) in lieu of having
to weigh them *or* "recycle" them.  I think there are plans
for some "courtyard sales" (think:  yard sale) RSN.  And,
if you're looking for something in particular, you might
want to make a specific inquiry.

In general, if you can tinker, you'll probably get a better
deal than someone who wants a turn-key product!  Or, if you're
looking for "pulls", etc.