[Tfug] And another one down

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 17 14:52:22 MST 2013

Hi Timothy,

On 9/17/2013 1:09 PM, Timothy D. Lenz wrote:
> That foam you buy in cans  will keep expanding some for days, even weeks
> depending on conditions, though at a much slower rate. I read about
> someone that put it on the inside of his computer case pannels, but
> latter when he went to work on it found it very hard to get the pannels
> off because it had expanded more after he put it back together.

Water (misted) helps "cure" the foam.

I used several cans, recently, to mechanically support and thermally
insulate some above ground plumbing (run inside the voids of cinder
blocks).  There's a bit of practice required to know when to stop
"filling" the void.  The first such "insulated volume" ended up
with a good 6" tall "head" of foam protruding out the top!  Aside
from the waste, it's no big deal as a hacksaw blade (overkill)
quickly trims it back flush with the top of the cinder block.

The most amusing aspect of it is the foam is touted for filling
joints around windows, doors, etc. (cut down on air infiltration).
In fact, using it on anything other than metal or wood framed
doors/windows will typically *buckle* the frame of the window
(or door).  Often to the point of rendering it inoperative!

Solution is to use "backer rod" of a size appropriate for your
needs and manually *pack* these openings.  Then, silicone
caulk for a finish coat.