[Tfug] And another one down

Timothy D. Lenz tlenz at vorgon.com
Mon Sep 9 22:22:06 MST 2013

On 9/9/2013 10:07 PM, Harry McGregor wrote:
> On 9/9/13 9:52 PM, Timothy D. Lenz wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> If the Seagates were not "array" optimized drives, then they quite
> likely were going into thermal recalibration, which takes the drive
> offline for a few seconds and brings it back.
>
> My personal opinion, dealing with thousands of drives, is that I really
> like the HGST drives, and don't care much for Seagate anymore (and this
> is enterprise class, near line sas and enterprise sata).  After HGST, I
> go for WD SAS, then WD Black, then Red.  I don't like either the Blue or
> the Green for array use.
>
> As far as the fans causing problems, I have seen some VERY odd things
> cause drive problems, but have yet to see fans cause it...
>
> (and yes, I deal with enterprise storage as part of my job).
>
> -Harry

I don't think I have ever heard of an HGST drive, but a quick google
found a 600Gb drive for $400... OUCH.

I just noticed that WD has other drives now besides the
red/green/black/blue. Haven't looked into then much. But looking at WD's
site: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/catalog/

I don't see an SAS line. Why black before red? I thought red was
designed for array use.

  And yea, just reading on the green, I haven't given them another thought.