[Tfug] And another one down

Harry McGregor micros at osef.org
Mon Sep 9 22:07:39 MST 2013

On 9/9/13 9:52 PM, Timothy D. Lenz wrote:

<snip>

If the Seagates were not "array" optimized drives, then they quite
likely were going into thermal recalibration, which takes the drive
offline for a few seconds and brings it back.

My personal opinion, dealing with thousands of drives, is that I really
like the HGST drives, and don't care much for Seagate anymore (and this
is enterprise class, near line sas and enterprise sata).  After HGST, I
go for WD SAS, then WD Black, then Red.  I don't like either the Blue or
the Green for array use.

As far as the fans causing problems, I have seen some VERY odd things
cause drive problems, but have yet to see fans cause it...

(and yes, I deal with enterprise storage as part of my job).

-Harry