[Tfug] And another one down

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 7 12:38:34 MST 2013

Hi Timothy,

On 9/7/2013 12:21 PM, Timothy D. Lenz wrote:
> Awhile back I was dealing with another hard drive failure on my vdr
> system. Seagate drives. Welllll. Yesterday I was noticing a sound coming
> from the computers that sounded like drives being accessed but no lights
> in. Hearing it this morning too and thought maybe a fan was going out.
> But then I check my mail:
>
> -------------------------------
>
> This email was generated by the smartd daemon running on:
>
>     host name: x64VDR
>    DNS domain: tdl
>    NIS domain: (none)
>
> The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:
>
> Device: /dev/sdc, 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

You expect some number of sectors to "go bad" over time.
But, the drive should reprovision a new sector to replace
the "failed" sector ("Grown Defect List") -- preferably before
it can't reliably recover the *data* from that sector!

It's only when this starts to happen at an increased
frequency or at a large cumulative rate that you have to
worry about the drive being toast.  (or, on its *way* to
being toast!)

Presumably (?), for a DVR, there's nothing particularly
"precious" about the data in that sector (if there had been,
the question becomes:  "Why didn't you have it backed up?")

Do you see a performance problem, otherwise?