[Tfug] Cabling

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 30 15:52:11 MST 2013

Hi Timothy,

On 11/30/2013 2:46 PM, Timothy D. Lenz wrote:
> Aside from the mentioned clips and ties you can get, also there are the
> slit sleeves that you can stuff the wire in.

Harry or Zack (?) had pointed me at some "D rings" (?) some
time ago.  But, I was unable to find them (didn't know what
to search for).  My understanding is they are like a short
"corkscrew" (perhaps one "turn" instead of 4 or 5) so you
could "wind" the cable around it and end up having the
cable *in* the "ring".

[Grrrr... crappy description.  Get a household corkscrew.
Hold a wire parallel to the length of the screw and imagine
how you would get the wire threaded into the screw *without*
moving the screw -- fastened to the table, in my case -- *or*
threading the wire through it.  The answer should be obvious...]

> Keep in mind RFI. Running power cords along data cables can cause RFI on
> the power lines though unlikely with modern LAN wire. There is also the
> risk of AC RFI getting into the LAN cables when run along side each
> other for a distance like that. Again, the twisted pair nature of CAT5/6
> cable reduces that. But it can still be a problem.

Power cords don't run alongside network cable.  Network cable
runs the length of the tables (i.e., around the perimeter).
Power runs *across* these, in places, but separated by many
inches.

Switching power supplies can make lots of line noise.  (consider
wall warts and bricks are often pretty "cheaply" made!)

This, however, is a concern when wiring the *house*!  You
also have to ensure a minimum separation (2"?) per Code.
[along with lots of other things]