[Tfug] Wayyyy OT: TV recommendation

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sun May 5 17:53:49 MST 2013

Hi Louis,

On 5/5/2013 9:40 AM, Louis Taber wrote:
> Casa Video has the first 4 seasons of *Coupling*.
> http://www.casavideo.com/  2905
> East Speedway Blvd.,Tucson, Arizona.  You can rent two for the price of one
> on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

We've thought about purchasing the set (there are only 4 seasons and
the 4th is pretty bad -- since it is "sans Jeff").  But, there's
something special about *having* to watch it at a particular time
(perhaps a generational thing -- from when you scheduled your
life around "special movies" on TV, etc.).  Even if the library
eventually purchases the set, you'd still be "coerced" into
watching them in a particular time frame (since DVD's are not
renewable items).

E.g., we purchased the entire SOAP series and, while we have enjoyed
watching it on DVD at least *twice* (not counting the number of
OTA broadcasts!), there's always something competing for that time
so it is easy to postpone starting the series, again (since you need
to set aside a couple of hours each night)

> You might want to try Doc Martin too, also
> showing on PBS Thursdays.

I've seen ads for this (while waiting for Coupling) but it never
seems to get me interested.  <shrug>

I also discovered Shameless, recently and found that to be fun
(though I suspect it will get repetitive, real quick!).  But,
apparently there is a "made for US market" version of the same
title which, no doubt, is pretty lame (though I have never seen
one of those episodes).

> And/or try the movie *Keeping Mum*
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0444653/?ref_=sr_4 if you like British humor.

Hmmm, never heard of it.  I will have to keep an eye open for it.
In general, I've found a little "british humor" goes a long way.
I.e., its relatively easy to overtop your quota/tolerance for it
(and so much of it is *really* too "class-centric", etc. to be
pertinent).

I wouldn't mind a return of My Hero -- though I can only recall
a handful of truly memorable scenes from that series  :-/